Friday, December 21, 2007

Nat Goes Flat

I have moved. I feel like I never really unpacked from my last adventure because I had a strong feeling that my next step would be somewhere that required luggage. Sure enough, I’ve been dropped in Saskatchewan in a wonderful (and tiny) little community. Major changes have come with this move, I am living on my own but this time in a considerably larger abode compared to Chateau Shoebox. Unlike C.S. though, my new place is unfurnished -- which I kind of like. The rooms are spacious. I can cartwheel just about everywhere. I officially now have a bed, a kitchen table (with chairs), a couch, and a filing cabinet.

I’ve also bought a car. This is my first vehicle unless you count "The Covered Wagon" in University (named that because it had all of the qualities of a covered wagon: no air conditioning, no radio, no power windows, and a family of pilgrims living in the back). I have the most adorable black Yaris hatchback named Yimmy (the picture in this post was taken while driving Yimmy).

Yims and I get along well. I drive and sing at the top of my lungs -- he waits patiently for me when I leave him outside of the Great Canadian Superstore for an hour (that store is AMAZING).

The weather here is not nearly as cold as I had thought, but it will get colder. Cars here come with a block heater and parking spaces all have little outlets to plug into on the “cold nights”. If you don’t plug your car in, the oil turns to Jell-O and your car will explode (or something like that). To brace for the winter, I even bought a jacket that definitely belongs to the parka family; maybe a first cousin to a full blown parka. I’ve always felt that if I wear anything that doesn’t explicitly define my waist, I might as well wear a refrigerator with a hole drilled in the top. My pride lost the battle and I now trudge along in what my mom refers to as a particularly “cute refrigerator”.

Finally, to my shock and horror, for my whole life I’ve been pronouncing “Saskatchewan” incorrectly. It’s not four syllables. It’s more like three and a half. It’s actually pronounced “Sask-at-chwin” not “Sask-atch-ooo-wan” like I’ve said it all my life… It reminds me of when I was in grade four and I unknowingly pronounced “Decimal” as “Destimal” for the whole year but my teacher never corrected me. Then I went into grade five and my new teacher thought I was retarded.