Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Prague: Czech it out (I just can’t get enough of that pun apparently)

I spent Easter weekend in Prague with Nadia, Aaron, Melissa, Caroline, Nicki, Farhad, Megan and Lindsay. We took an overnight train there and back (13 hours in a teeny tiny room)…

Prague is stunningly beautiful. We all had a great time! I love the rich colours, the textures, the buildings, the water. I love it! Aaron, Nadia and I found a great English speaking church to celebrate Easter at and we just spent the whole weekend touring the city, checking out the largest ancient castle in the world and eating food that I will dream about for years (Beer Chili Goulash anyone?? Soooo good).

The hostel we stayed in however was far from “soooo good”. It was actually quite terrible. The four girls had their own room, Far and Nic shared a room and so Aaron, Nadia and I decided to take one for the team and stay in the 8 person dorm styled room. We shared this smelly compartment with 2 super gross Italian guys and a man who was possibly suffering from some kind of horrendous lung condition. This did not make for a good night sleep. The Italians snored like chainsaws being operated by angry Velosoraptors and Mr. Lung Condition coughed up juicy internal organs every 12 seconds. Yeah, remember my post about having super sensitive hearing? Helen Keller wouldn’t be able to sleep in this room.

The first night Nadia and I were lying awake starring at each other at about 2:30 in the morning completely in shock at the cacophony of noise. Finally, Nadia couldn’t take it anymore. When Nadia gets tired/hungry/angry suddenly her language turns into some kind of English/French/Italian/Mumble/Grunt combination. “I need…throw at… something… Monsieur, Tournez-VOUS!! … Ehn…. Must sleep…Arghy… Meh.. Boh….Heeeenh!”

So I toss Nad a bag of garbage (It was either that or my blow dryer, thank me later Italians) and I will forever have this image emblazoned on my mind: A furious mumbling half awake Nadia sitting in bed in a psycho-rage tearing and balling up garbage and throwing it at Italian #2. Probably out of exhaustiong I started laughing so hard, I couldn't control it. Somehow I guess we thought that hucking a dumpster at these guys would improve the situation? The next night the exact same thing happened only Nadia climbed over Mr. Lung Condition’s bed and pulled off Italian #2’s blanket at which point he sat up. Nadia, in a Mission Impossible action-type moment, dove across the bed and pretended to sleep. Again, so incredibly funny because the guy clearly saw what she was doing. Anyway, enough about the hostel (did I mention it only had ONE shower for the whole place). More Prague to come......